Certainly one of our key focuses during the CFPB is our work assisting you to вЂњknow just before owe,вЂќ whether thatвЂ™s with your mortgage, your car or truck loan, or perhaps the loans youвЂ™ll take off to protect university. As an element of our work to enable customersвЂ™ monetary decision-making, we would also like one to learn about crucial customer liberties that protect you. One of these simple could be the legislation that protects customers from being discriminated against within the marketplace that is financial the Equal Credit chance Act (ECOA).
In October, we mark the anniversary with this crucial rights that are civil. To commemorate the anniversary, we will publish two blog sites to aid teach you about ECOA.
What exactly is ECOA?
ECOA is just a federal civil legal rights legislation that protects you against being discriminated against by loan providers, centered on some of the after reasons:
- Nationwide beginning вЂ“ the national nation you or your ancestors had been created in
- Intercourse (including sex)
- Marital status
- Age (provided that the applicant is old sufficient to enter an agreement)
- Getting funds from any assistance that is public, such as for example Social protection impairment insurance coverage (SSDI) or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Working out your liberties under particular customer security legislation